Recent Posts

Tuesday, October 20, 2009

not to share would be selfish

Welcome to the very best Banana Bread Recipe in the world. Literally I got it out of my favorite cooking book, The Best Recipe , my brother uses the updated version in culinary school. Luckily I got mine for free when I helped a friend clean out her garage before she moved. Good thing she doesn't cook. ;) thanks Anna!
I personally think that baking Banana or Zucchini bread in normal bread pans takes way to long to bake, so I make them in mini loaf or cupcake form. Much easier to share as well. (if you don't eat them all first)



Chocolate Chip Banana Bread

2 cups flour
¾ cup sugar
¾ tsp baking soda
½ tsp salt
1 ¼ cup toasted Walnuts chopped coarse (about 1 cup) I used pecans and it was fabulous
1 cup Ghirardelli milk chocolate chips (you don’t have to use them but why wouldn’t you?)
3 very ripe soft speckled large bananas
¼ cup plain yogurt (I used 1 strawberry go-gurt)
2 large eggs
6 Tbs melted and cooled butter
1 tsp vanilla (I always use more than that)

Variations

1 tsp cinnamon
½ tsp nutmeg

½ cup coconut
1 cup chopped macadamia nuts
(I have never done this but doesn’t it sound delicious? They say to toast both items separately first and them mix them into the dry ingredients)

Adjust oven rack to lower middle position and heat oven to 350 degrees. Grease and flour bottom only of regular loaf pan and set aside. (I use cupcake wrappers or mini loafs and pan cooking spray)

Whisk flour, sugar, baking soda, salt, nuts and chocolate chips (any other variations would mix in here as well.) set aside.

Mix mashed banana, yogurt, eggs, butter and vanilla with a wooden spoon in a medium bowl, combine dry ingredients and fold in gently. (I used my kitchen aid and let her rip because I like it to break up the chocolate chips and nuts a little bit better)

Poor batter into pans. (I use an ice cream scoop to fill cupcake tins.) Makes 1 9in loaf, 24 cupcakes or 8 mini loafs.

Bake at 350 degrees for 20 minutes for cupcakes and mini loafs 55 minutes for normal pans. (Note that my way lets you eat them almost 3 times faster, think about it)
enjoy!

0 comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts with Thumbnails